Parley’s Canyon Proposed Limestone Mine
H.B. 527 Mining Operations Amendments did not make it to committee this session. We expect it to come back so please be prepared to call the legislature and oppose it when it does.Sign the Petition!
Nov. 12, 2021- A recently formed LLC, Tree Farm filed a notice of intent, to “commence small mining operations” in Utah’s popular and frequently recreated Parley’s Canyon. Their proposal shows intent of a much larger extraction operation than those eligible for small mining permits.
UPHE’s concerns over the mine include additional dust and diesel pollution generated by the mine that will only add to the health and quality of life consequences from existing sources of environmental degradation in the valley. Mt. Aire residents would be particularly exposed to chronic, persistent pollution. And it seems nearly certain that water quantity and quality in the area (Parley’s creek, Millcreek, and groundwater) will be diminished and degraded. It is notable also that the application includes not just limestone mining, but also heavy metals.
Dec. 10, 2021- Salt Lake County held an emergency meeting and voted to submit a change to the county’s Foothills and Canyons Overlay Zone, or FCOZ, to the planning commission. This could potentially block the proposed mine and any attempt to dig new mines in the Wasatch canyons and foothills.
Recent News and Updates on the Proposed Mine:
- Nov. 15 2021 Limestone Mine’s damage in Parley’s Canyon would be irreversible
- Nov. 29 2021 No more mines in Parley’s Canyon
- Dec. 16 2021 Our letter to Gov. officials
- Dec. 20 2021 Uinta Basin oil railway moving in the wrong direction
- Jan 31 2022 Proposed Mine in Parley’s Canyon renamed I-80 South Quarry
- Feb 8 2022 Resident objection may help curb Parley’s Canyon mine
- Feb 17 2022 UPHE comments on ordinance to block mine
- April 6 2022 Salt Lake County passes ordinance that blocks the proposed mine for Parley’s Canyon
- April 19 2022 Salt Lake County’s move to block Parley’s mine now faces legal threats
- May 24 2022 Company should listen to the public on proposed Parley’s mine
- June 7 2022 “What are we doing here?” Op-ed on Parley’s
- June 28 2022 Parley’s mine in July?
- Aug 2 2022 Parley’s Canyon mine & DOGM’s responsibility
- March 13 2023 UDOT paving the way for Parley’s mine that hasn’t been approved